We are the Kaitiaki / Guardians of New Zealand Superannuation. We are proud of our Te Whāinga / Our purpose: Sustainable investment delivering strong returns for all New Zealanders. We invest government contributions to the NZ Super Fund, a global investment fund helping to ensure the country can pay for the growing cost of universal superannuation (New Zealand Superannuation) in the future. We also oversee the Elevate Fund, which invests in small, fast-growing New Zealand companies.
At the Guardians there’s an energy, passion and a shared commitment to excellence: in 2022 the NZ Super Fund was named the world’s best-performing sovereign wealth fund. The work is complex, innovative and intellectually stimulating. Sustainable finance, including a commitment to being net zero by 2050, is core to our Mātāpono / way of working.
The Direct Investments team is responsible for managing the Guardians’ directly held private equity portfolio. The portfolio has interests in sectors spanning timber, technology, financial services, real estate, infrastructure, healthcare and rural land. The team has substantial investments in many leading New Zealand businesses including Kaingaroa Timberlands, NZ Hotel Holdings, Asia Pacific Healthcare Group (Labtests), Fidelity Life Assurance and Datacom, to name a few. The Direct Investments team forms part of the Guardians’ broader Investments business unit, and works closely with the Responsible Investment, Asset Allocation, External Investments & Partnerships, Portfolio Completion, Operational Due Diligence, Legal, Tax and Finance teams.
About the position
You will provide assistance with the investment management function of the existing Direct Investments portfolio. This will involve assisting with the origination and execution of new investment opportunities that are in line with the Guardians’ long term investment strategy.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Supporting the active management of the existing Direct Investments portfolio, locally and abroad
- Assisting in the origination, assessment and execution of new investment opportunities
- Developing and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders within the Direct Investments portfolio’s directly held companies.
Your core attributes will include:
- A tertiary qualification, with a keen interest in Financial Markets demonstrated through your career to date.
- Experience in conducting analysis, financial modelling and valuations, gained within mergers and acquisitions, private equity, corporate development or investment banking, or similar relevant experience.
- Good working knowledge of transactions and private capital markets is preferred.
Coupled with that, you will demonstrate a collegial, constructive approach, fostering both internal and external relationships, and the ability to provide strong commercial judgement and perspective, including sound knowledge of the New Zealand private equity market.
This is a unique opportunity within the Guardians’ Direct Investments team, where you will add ongoing value to the existing portfolio and gain exposure to significant transactions across a broad variety of industry sectors.
What we offer
- A dynamic, exciting place to work with a team united by our common purpose of sustainable investment delivering strong returns for all New Zealanders.
- Competitive remuneration package including base salary, discretionary bonus programme, and up to 8% KiwiSaver matching.
- World class professional development, career pathways and job rotation opportunities.
- Comprehensive leave and benefits programme including strong parental leave package and insurance cover.
- Flexible and accessible work environment that reflects our commitment to equity and an inclusive team.
How to apply:
We encourage and welcome applications from people with diverse experience, including applicants interested in discussing flexible work options and those with specific disability needs. As a proudly committed equal opportunity employer, we challenge discrimination and actively work to eliminate bias in our hiring practices. Diversity of experience and diversity of background help us to solve complex problems and deliver on our purpose.
We recognise the importance of Te Tiriti o Waitangi and invest in partnership with a range of Iwi/Māori organisations. We warmly welcome and value Mana Whenua who wish to work with us. We are committed to understanding Te Ao Māori and integrating it into our workplace culture, for the benefit of all future generations in Aotearoa.
Please forward your details in strict confidence by clicking 'apply' below.