We are the Kaitiaki / Guardians of New Zealand Superannuation. We are proud of our Te Whāinga / Our purpose: Sustainable investment delivering strong returns for all New Zealanders. We invest government contributions to the NZ Super Fund, a global investment fund helping to ensure the country can pay for the growing cost of universal superannuation (New Zealand Superannuation) in the future. We also oversee the Elevate Fund, which invests in small, fast-growing New Zealand companies.
At the Guardians there’s an energy, passion and a shared commitment to excellence: in 2022 the NZ Super Fund was named the world’s best-performing sovereign wealth fund. The work is complex, innovative and intellectually stimulating. Sustainable finance, including a commitment to being net zero by 2050, is core to our Mātāpono / way of working.
E pā ana ki te tira – About the team
The Direct Investments team is responsible for managing the Guardians’ directly held private equity portfolio. The portfolio has interests in sectors spanning timber, technology, financial services, real estate, infrastructure, healthcare and agriculture. The team has substantial investments in many leading New Zealand businesses including Kaingaroa Timberlands, Euroclear, NZ Hotel Holdings, Awanui Group (Labtests), Fidelity Life Assurance and Datacom, to name a few.
E pā ana ki te tūranga – About the position
- Lead origination activity consistent with Guardians identified sector strategies, including the development of more detailed tactical plans to create deal flow
- Manage due diligence, deal structuring, negotiation and transaction processes, including the development of valuation analysis and internal investment memoranda
- Engage with other internal functions and committees across the organisation to ensure leverage of expertise and focus on the most compelling investments. This includes presenting to the Investment Committee and Guardians Board as required
- Monitor the financial performance and progress of existing investments and recommend corrective action as required
- Monitor the relationship and performance of Guardians portfolio company board appointees, including representing the Guardians directly in governance roles where appropriate
- Establish and maintain mutually beneficial commercial relationships with key stakeholders including investment partners in relation to existing and new projects
- Guide and coach Investment Associates and Analysts within the Direct Investments team
E pā ana ki to hītori mahi – About your work history
It is likely that you have extensive transactions experience gained in Investment Banking, Private Equity, Corporate Development/Strategy, or a Sovereign Wealth Fund. You will have previous experience in dealing with a broad range of stakeholders, corporate valuation, acquisitions and mergers, and a demonstrated analytical aptitude, including strong financial modelling skills, attention to detail, process thinking, and written and verbal fluency in setting out research conclusions.
You should also have had some exposure to working with corporate or project boards. Having some prior experience or interest in real asset investing is preferred.
Ā mātou whiwhinga - What we offer
- A dynamic, exciting place to work with a team united by our common purpose of sustainable investment delivering strong returns for all New Zealanders.
- Competitive remuneration package including base salary, discretionary bonus programme of up to 60%, and up to 8% KiwiSaver matching.
- World class professional development.
- Comprehensive leave and benefits programme including strong parental leave package and insurance cover.
- Flexible and accessible work environment that reflects our commitment to equity and an inclusive team
How to apply:
We encourage and welcome applications from people with diverse experience, including applicants interested in discussing flexible work options and those with specific disability needs. As a proudly committed equal opportunity employer, we challenge discrimination and actively work to eliminate bias in our hiring practices. Diversity of experience and diversity of background help us to solve complex problems and deliver on our purpose.
We recognise the importance of Te Tiriti o Waitangi and invest in partnership with a range of Iwi/Māori organisations. We warmly welcome and value Mana Whenua who wish to work with us. We are committed to understanding Te Ao Māori and integrating it into our workplace culture, for the benefit of all future generations in Aotearoa.
Please forward your details in strict confidence by clicking 'apply' below.