We are the Kaitiaki / Guardians of New Zealand Superannuation. We are proud of our Te Whāinga / Our purpose: Sustainable investment delivering strong returns for all New Zealanders. We invest government contributions to the NZ Super Fund, a global investment fund helping to ensure the country can pay for the growing cost of universal superannuation (New Zealand Superannuation) in the future. We also oversee the Elevate Fund, which invests in small, fast-growing New Zealand companies.
At the Guardians there’s an energy, passion and a shared commitment to excellence: in 2022 the NZ Super Fund was named the world’s best-performing sovereign wealth fund. The work is complex, innovative and intellectually stimulating. Sustainable finance, including a commitment to being net zero by 2050, is core to our Mātāpono / way of working.
The Investment Operations team is primarily responsible for the effective administration of the Guardians’ portfolio through controls and oversight at total portfolio level, Net Asset Value reporting, middle- and back-office trade support for the internal trading desk, and liaison with key service providers, including the global custodian, external investment managers and counterparties. The team works closely with the Finance, Tax, IT, Data Technology, Data Services, Legal and Risk functions, as well as with the Investments and Portfolio Completion business units.
About the position:
Some of the key tasks in this role include (though are not limited to), those outlined below
- Process daily the Investment Operations team’s Fund and trade support work stream activity in an accurate and timely manner.
- Complete assigned tasks and work items within agreed time frames, escalating to senior team members if assistance or support is needed.
- Support and coach peers to share knowledge and expertise to build the capability and skills across the team.
- Validate investment data used throughout the organisation for analysis, trading and performance reporting.
- Identify and investigate exceptions or issues and work proactively to resolve these in a timely manner and/or escalating them to senior team members for assistance as required.
- Lead or support the implementation of projects relating to the Fund and trade support activity including set-ups relating to new products and investments.
- Follow, maintain and update process documentation to reflect any changes to procedures as a result of continuous improvement or new activities.
- Provide input to the development of risk registers, policies, procedures and controls for the Investment Operations team.
- Identify, capture, resolve and report on internal incidents to the custodian, counterparties, other service providers or internal systems and processes where appropriate.
- Collaborate with peers to understand root causes of issues and errors and share learnings across the team.
- Using the continuous improvement framework and Lean methodology, work collaboratively with peers to progress and implement process changes for the benefit of the Fund
We are open to a broad range of experience, and while some exposure within an Investments business in a middle or back office function is well regarded, we also encourage applications from people in the early stages of their career who can demonstrate the attitude and aptitude to be successful. This is an excellent opportunity in an integral Investments focussed support role, with genuine development opportunities across Back, Middle and Front office functions.
What we offer
- A dynamic, exciting place to work with a team united by our common purpose of sustainable investment delivering strong returns for all New Zealanders.
- Competitive remuneration package including base salary, discretionary bonus programme, and up to 8% KiwiSaver matching.
- World class professional development, career pathways and job rotation opportunities.
- Comprehensive leave and benefits programme including strong parental leave package and insurance cover.
- Flexible and accessible work environment that reflects our commitment to equity and an inclusive team.
How to apply:
We encourage and welcome applications from people with diverse experience, including applicants interested in discussing flexible work options and those with specific disability needs. As a proudly committed equal opportunity employer, we challenge discrimination and actively work to eliminate bias in our hiring practices. Diversity of experience and diversity of background help us to solve complex problems and deliver on our purpose.
We recognise the importance of Te Tiriti o Waitangi and invest in partnership with a range of Iwi/Māori organisations. We warmly welcome and value Mana Whenua who wish to work with us. We are committed to understanding Te Ao Māori and integrating it into our workplace culture, for the benefit of all future generations in Aotearoa.
Please forward your details in strict confidence by clicking 'apply' below.