We are active participants in a wide range of global investment initiatives, consistent with our legislative mandate to manage the Fund in line with best practice portfolio management. Groups on which the Guardians are represented at Board/Governance level include:
- Pacific Pension Institute;
- New Zealand Corporate Governance Forum;
- World Economic Forum Long-term Investment Council;
- International Centre for Pension Management;
- One Planet Sovereign Wealth Fund Working Group;
- New Zealand Corporate Taxpayer Group; and
- Responsible Investment Association of Australasia.
We also participate actively in the International Forum of Sovereign Wealth Funds, the International Pensions Conference, Association of Superannuation Investors, Standards Board for Alternative Investments, United Nations Principles for Responsible Investment, International Corporate Governance Network, Focusing Capital on the Long Term and the Carbon Disclosure Project.
For a small, geographically isolated fund like ours, collaboration with peers across the world offers a range of strategic benefits. Building relationships with leading global peers has, therefore, been a key strategy for the Guardians since we started investing, and continues to be important.
The benefits of collaboration include:
- leveraging these relationships to secure global and local opportunities for co-investment;
- exchange of best practice and knowledge; and
- cooperation in areas of joint interest, such as responsible investment.
The Fund's approach to peer relationship management is focussed on targeting fewer and deeper peer relationships with whom we can collaborate, benchmark against and co-invest.